Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal
What is Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
Wisdom tooth is the very back molar of the mouth. When a wisdom tooth is unable to break through the gum properly, it is considered ‘impacted’, and may cause pain and inflection. Most dentists recommended the impacted wisdom tooth to be removed.
Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal Process
1. X-ray to check the position of the wisdom tooth.
2. Anesthetics is injected to numb the area and prevent from the surgical pain.
3. The dentist may cut a small part of the gum covering the wisdom tooth.
4. Drilling the bone covering the tooth.
5. Extraction of the wisdom tooth.
6. Close the wound to stop from bleeding and allow faster healing.
7. The patient is given an aftercare instruction and suggested to bite the gauze firmly until stop bleeding within 2-3 hours after the surgery.
Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal Duration
Impacted wisdom tooth removal usually takes about 1-2 hours depend on the cases’ difficulties.
Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal Aftercare
- Avoid sucking blood, sucking on ice
- Bite the gauze firmly for 2-3 hours until stop bleeding, may replace with new gauze, and continue biting until stop bleeding. excessive splitting which may affect more bleeding
- May use cold compress on the first 2-3 days to decreases the swelling
- Brushing the teeth as usual but avoid the surgical area
- Having soft food, avoid too hot/cold or spicy food on the first 2-3 days
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol which can irritate the wound
- In case of excessive bleeding or severe pain/swelling, please contact the dentist immediately
Is it fine not to have Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
A : Wisdom tooth removal is suggested when the wisdom tooth is unable to break through properly or placed in an irregular position which may cause an inflection of the gum and surrounding area or form a tooth decay. Because wisdom tooth is difficult to clean, removing the wisdom tooth will prevent from the inflammation.
Does it hurt to get Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
A : Impacted wisdom tooth removal is nonetheless painful. However, the dentist will use the anesthetics to numb the area to reduce the pain before the surgery. Also, the painkiller will be given to relieve the pain after the surgery.
FREE !! Oral Health Consultation